February 26, 2015

Dear Joshua

Dear Joshua,
      You are almost 8 weeks old and already I can barely remember my life before you, or rather my life did not have the value that it does now. I will not lie, motherhood is hard at times and an adjustment, but it is also wonderful, beautiful and incredible. As I look at your sweet face, your beautiful eyes and your tiny hands, I am amazed that my body created yours. You are completely unique, half me and half Garett. As I listen to your tiny heart beat, mine melts and swoons.


       I hope you know how grateful I am to be your mom. I have always wanted to be a mother, but as the time drew closer I feared that maybe I wouldn't like it or would get bored with it. My fears are gone though, for being a mother brings me a joy that I had not known could be possible.


       I love being your mom more than anything in the world. I love watching you grow and improve your motor skills daily. My favorite thing in the entire world though, is when you smile at me. I cannot fully explain the feeling I get as that smile creeps across your tiny face and your eyes sparkle with happiness. When you smile at me, that is all I need. On days when I feel sick or tired, I just see that smile and suddenly everything is better.


      I always knew you would be a blessing in my life, but I was not prepared for how much you would increase my joy and happiness. You are the greatest blessing to come to Garett and I. I thank the Lord everyday that I am allowed to be your mom. You truly are a miracle.
      When I was pregnant with you I prayed every single day that I wouldn't lose you. When it got close to your arrival, I prayed for your safe delivery into this world and that we would both live to see you grow up.

       Now as you sleep across the room in your swing, I pray that you will continue to grow stronger and live a full life. I have only been your mother for 8 weeks in this world, but I would never go back. You have already taught me a great deal. I even amaze myself with recognizing your different cries, when your hungry, when you have gas, or when you just want to be held.


      You're around 10 lbs now and it still baffles me that my body has been able to nourish yours. It amazes me daily that I gave birth to you and that you are eternally mine. I guess I wrote this, because I don't want to forget these feelings of being a new mom, your mom. You are going to change constantly this year. I am excited to be there for all of it, but I don't want to rush these early weeks, because though your changes may seem small and menial to others this early on, to me they are the coolest and greatest things to watch.
      Thank you Joshua for being our son and blessing this family with your presence. I love you with all my heart and I look forward to having many adventures this year and all the years to come.

-Love,
Your mom

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderfully eloquent letter on the beauty of parenthood. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete