March 14, 2012

The Story Behind My Smiles

So I guess I should tell how this ring came to be on my left hand.
Tell of Garett's excitement, nervousness, and our happiness.
His sneakiness, and not so sneakiness with a bit of cheese on top.

So our story begins on a beautiful 50 degree Thursday in Rexburg, Idaho.
Though a bit windy (it is Rexburg after all) it did not stop our plans.
Garett wanted to get some lunch and tour the apple orchards before I had to go to work.
We headed out, but not before Garett grabbed a handful of tiny cupcakes with his left hand. Silly me, I thought he was just really hungry.

And we headed out to our local Taco Bell, that does not look as good as this one.
 We got there and saw TONS of these paper Doritos shells everywhere!

It was weird, but they looked pretty tasty.
Garett grabbed our food and we enjoyed a quiet lunch before heading out on our walk.

We headed back towards campus. 
Garett's nerves showed through his fiddling of his fingers.
To add to it all he kept telling me to slow down, which for anyone who knows him well he walks WAY TOO fast and will NEVER tell anyone to slow down.
He could beat anyone in a speed walking contest I guarantee it.

We crossed through a snowy, muddy trail to the back of the apple orchards.
All along the way he kept saying strange things like:
"You look different today, something is missing, what is it?" 
or
"I have something important to ask you, but I can't remember what it is...."

Strangely the orchard looked a lot like this as we entered it:
(With less snow)
There was about 2 feet of untouched snow, and not a soul in sight.

The only signs of anything living having passed through were some weird prints that SORT OF (but not really) looked like these:

I have to admit, I had my suspicions. 
His nerves showed through a good bit.
We passed through row after row, talking, reminiscing and enjoying the beautiful day.
As we neared the last row he mentioned this would be the last one we would go down.
My suspicions were withdrawn with no hope left.

About 2/3 of the way down the row we were talking and he pulled away.
He knelt down to look at something, silly me honestly thought he was looking at berries or something.
And then I had an "aha" moment where it hit me what was happening, but I could not wrap my brain around it.
As I walked around to see his face, 
I saw a little red box open with something rather sparkly inside and Garett beaming nervously, but happily. 
Then I heard those words that girls wait forever (to seems) to hear:
 
"Will you marry me?"

My brain was still pretty fuzzy, so i grabbed him and hugged him and as I slowly regained consciousness I whispered in his ear "Yes". 

We kissed and smiled as he placed that oh so small, yet amazingly meaningful ring on my finger.


We kissed and laughed as we stood in those trees with no one else in the world knowing of the excitement and joy we felt at that exact moment.

The few minutes we spent walking back to my apartment were ones of trying to wrap our brains around what had just happened. We repeated the lines:
"You're my fiancee"
"Yes I am and you're mine"
about a hundred times.

Even now it is still only really starting to sink in.
Now we repeat the lines "We're getting married"
"Yes we are, isn't it great?"
"You sure you wanna be stuck with me forever?"
"Heck yeah I do!"

(We're such saps, I know)
And now we are happily planning our wedding and I have to say I am SOO excited and thrilled. I cannot wait to have this man forever! I am pretty sure it is the happiest thought I have ever had. =]
So much so that if a fairy poured some dust on me I would be flying.

So that is the story, cheesy and I know, but great.
Hope you enjoyed it!

This post was brought to you by:
English class, where my teacher somehow 
rambles for 2 1/2 hours of a 3 hour class
on absolutely nothing. 
-Meg
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Yay! That is so exciting! He must be the reason you have posted less and less to your blog. ;)

    I think it is fantastic... Good job!

    ReplyDelete