June 11, 2012

Moods and Music

Ever notice how your mood affects what you listen to, and what you listen to affects your mood?

Well I do. My music is pretty consistent based on my moods.

When I am really happy I want something bouncy and fun that I can dance like a fool to the beat of. This often comes from very cheesy soundtracks and those really fun songs that you only listen to for the beat.

If I am walking to class, I want something empowering that I can walk to the beat of, like Marchin On by OneRepublic. They really know how to get you moving and though the version I linked is not the original, you get the idea.(That whole CD is GREAT, I recommend you look it up, the album is called Waking Up)

When I am in a springy happy mood, getting ready for the beautiful day outside, but not dancing I want something fun like Regina Spektor and Ingrid Michaelson. You know, those people who have voices that others would kill for, that have talents that the rest of us dream of? Yeah them.

But when I am in a bad mood, it is easy to tell. I pull out things like Linkin Park and some of Red Jumpsuit Apparatus's harder stuff. I put headphones in and blare it allowing my frustration to come out with every strum of the electric guitar, drumming and singing that is on the verge of yelling. I find it allows me to get my aggression out without actually having to do anything except listen. And slowly over time, my music will progress towards happier things, and by the end of it all, I am back to my regular self.

Given sometimes those harder songs are fun to listen to in the car, mostly because surround sound is justice to the bass in those songs.

In the car, like I have said before, I want something fun and with BASS. In posts previous I have mentioned my love of subwoofers and surround sound (I am PRETTY sure I get that from my dad. PS. Dad PLEASE never throw away those 3ft tall speakers!!!) Maybe this is why I like watching movies at guys apartments....surround sound. Apparently the appreciation of good quality sound is left mostly to men. What a shame. Either way music is meant to be appreciated, and if it has a great bass, then one must be able to enjoy that bass. (See Marchin On above)

And of course when I am sad, I listen to slow, sad, mournful music. My favorite, though it is more for when I am feeling methodical, but can also be sad is Half Life by Duncan Sheik. Somehow whenever I am having a hard time, this song speaks to me. Maybe it is just me, but I can apply this song to many of the hardest times in my life.

All in all, music plays a huge roll in my life. Different artists and genres are all mixed in to create me, my feelings, my thoughts, and my emotions. I have a hard time sticking to one general style, because that isn't me. I am not one style, I am 50. So whether is be hardcore rock, indie, pop, rock, classical, alternative, metal or whatever else, it defines me; it defines parts of my life.

I hope you don't stick to one general style of music, because then you are missing out on a world of songs that might speak to you in a way you never knew was even possible.So enjoy, explore and see what defines you through music.

On a side note, 53 days until I marry THIS guy!
 The thought of marrying him makes me want to jump for joy!

Abstract

Mixed Lighting without a tripod,  I am proud. 

Just some work I've been doing for my class. =]

Also thanks to my family for letting Garett, Haley and I get out of Rexburg for our sanity's sake. Also thanks to the Bonds for letting me spend time with them on Saturday. Y'all are wonderful almost-in-laws. I am blessed to be joining such a great family. 

And with that, I bid you farewell.

I'll try to write more, but my life is pretty boring.
It consists of school, work, possibly TOO much art, not enough sleep, and plenty of wedding planning.

Hope you all are having a great summer/semester!

-Meg


No comments:

Post a Comment