September 4, 2011

On a side note to all of that rambling and wishing I had been born about 40 years earlier, today has been a great day!

I got up this morning with not much time to get ready, but I did nonetheless and got to church JUST in time. Part of me did not want to go this morning. I was tired and my roommates were not awake and I could have easily gone to bed and missed everything. But something told me to go and so I did.

I ended up sitting with my friend Kate for all of church. And let me tell you, today was one of the best Sunday's ever! I mean church is always wonderful, but I feel normally the first hour I get so much out of it and then the rest of the time I get a bit tired and struggle to focus. But today I have never heard such wonderful lessons. Our Sunday school and Relief Society teachers were incredible! They taught by the spirit, got people to participate and hit some key notes that I think we all needed.

The lesson in Sunday school was called "Keep the Ordinances, as I delivered Them". Crystal (our teacher) pointed out that all covenants we can think of are appendages from the atonement of Christ. And that God is not a respecter of persons, so why should we be? So often people are scared to share the gospel or even discuss religion with others. Growing up in the Biblebelt, my friends all come from different religions and I think it is the coolest. We should not be scared to share what we know, for you never know who is looking and you might just have what they need. She went on to discuss the importance of friends and how they can strengthen us. And at the end of the day, with their help as well as teaching others, we can better learn for ourselves and remember the covenants we have made with the Lord. I know everything that was said today is true and that often times we forget the promises we have made, but we can always come back. We can always find what we need.

To go along with that, Relief Society was about being an example as friends and future mothers. We must practice what we preach; therefore we must start learning and making habits of those things we want for our children or for whomever we may eventually teach. We are examples now as friends, siblings, partners, husbands, wives, parents, teachers or coworkers. We set an example and if we step back and look, what kind of an example are we setting? Would we want others to follow in our footsteps? This hit me because there is a great deal I want to approve upon within myself. And I am slowly working to become the person I want to be.

Years of lessons, great examples (my family and close friends) have taught me ways to improve and day by day I am learning. I hope you can take a look and find some way to better yourself. Others might not notice right away, but in time it will make a difference to you and those around you.

We are here in this life to be the best that we can be. I want that for myself and for you. You can and should be the best you can be. We only have the time that is given to us. Take advantage of it. I promise it will change your life.

The Lord knows what
is in our hearts, as long as
we have a prayer within.
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment