August 31, 2011

Something New

Today I had a pretty cool experience. My roommates and I were at home and someone suggested we should go to the nature park and feed the ducks some old hotdog buns. We hopped in Melissa's car and headed off. It was cool to feed the ducks here because there is more of a variety. Back in NC there are Canadian geese and Mallard ducks and that is about it. Here they have ones of all different colors, shapes and sizes. After feeding their needy appetites we took a walk around the lake and Jewelissa offered a brilliant idea.

She mentioned that there was an animal shelter just down the road and we could play with the cats and dogs. We took a little trip over there and found out we could take the dogs on walks. Each of us picked out a dog. Jewelissa got a sweet and excited pit bull named Atika. Melissa had a girl dog named Reba and I had one named Daisy.

The lady let us sign in and take the dogs down to the pond. We walked them around the lake and they loved it. Atika was the most eager of them all and led the way most of the time. It was a fun experience.

Living in Rexburg in a college town I don't get to see too many dogs around. And let's face it, dogs are amazing creatures and a true blessing to have in your life. (I miss you Emily!) This gave me a chance to have some fun with a dog and let her run around and play. I found out that a lot of people come to take the dogs for walks, so though they may not all have homes, they still have people that care for them.

This definitely humbled me. You always see the shows with the nasty kennels and the abusive owners. But the owner of this one is sweet and she has little kids that like to play with the animals after school. She knows each dog or cat by name and their personalities.

My roommates and I are hoping to go back on friday and take Moose, a puppy great dane. He is not even a year old, but he is bigger and certainly weighs more than me, but he is a sweetheart nonetheless.

I hope you all appreciate your pets and give them the love and affection they deserve, after all, they are God's creatures too and I am certain He loves them too.

When was the last time
you played with your pet?
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment